Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:50:19 -0700
From:      "Mark A. Pitman" <map@primenet.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Another "cant mount root" problem (SCSI)

I am able to install FreeBSD 2.2.7 successfully, however when I reboot,
I get the "panic: cant mount root" error.  I am using a single SCSI HD
on an NCR53c810 PCI controller.  I have noticed that when the systems
boots, the kernel does not probe or detect any of the PCI devices.  The
boot floppy probes the PCI devices fine (I guess that's pretty obvious,
since it installed). Anybody know what I can do to fix this?  I'm new to
FreeBSD (I've been using Linux, HP-UX, AIX  for 3 years or so though, so
I'm not a complete *NIX newbie), so I am anxious to get it up and
running and learn all about the wonders of FreeBSD.

Thanks

Mark Pitman