Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 01:00:06 +0100
From:      Mounir Eddabbabi <Mounir.Eddabbabi@ensi.rnu.tn>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr>, listserv@freebsd-fr.org
Subject:   need help : boot failure on FreeBSD-4.0

Dear sir,
I've a FreeBSD-4.0 os, it works well more than one year now.
Last day, once my kernel is loaded and has finishing booting, and when
it passes control to the  user process init,  I've get the following
message :
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/console
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv0
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv1
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv2
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv3
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv4
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv5
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv6
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv7
init : can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv8
 for ever.

When I've tried the boot -s, and after checking my file system (fsck)
and the mount point of them (mount -a related to the /etc/fstab), every
thing seems ok. But when I reboot, I've got the same problem.

Can you, please, help me to resolve this problem.

PS. I've rebuild the whole system by make worl and reinstalled the
newest kernel, but nothing better.

With my best regards