Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:36:37 -0400
From:      Jim <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make buildworld fails linker can't find -lc??

I am not sure exactly what this means.  I am attempting to bring my 4.2-REL
box to current.  Here is the clip of what is happening:

# make buildworld

 Upgrading the installed make
cc -O -pipe -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make -DMAKE_VERSION=\"5200209170\"
-D__FBSDID=__RCSID -DDEFSHELL=1    -static -o make arch.o buf.o compat.o
cond.o dir.o for.o hash.o job.o main.o make.o parse.o str.o suff.o targ.o
var.o lstAppend.o lstAtEnd.o lstAtFront.o lstClose.o lstConcat.o lstDatum.o
lstDeQueue.o lstDestroy.o lstDupl.o lstEnQueue.o lstFind.o lstFindFrom.o
lstFirst.o lstForEach.o lstForEachFrom.o lstInit.o lstInsert.o lstIsAtEnd.o
lstIsEmpty.o lstLast.o lstMember.o lstNext.o lstOpen.o lstRemove.o
lstReplace.o lstSucc.o
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lc
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/usr.bin/make.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
#

TIA for any thoughts on what I could do to fix this.

--

- Jim