Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:43:27 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1046403807.3cc4e1@mired.org>
To:        Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ps: proc size mismatch

In <p06000501ba734f650c07@[66.92.104.201]>, Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com> typed:
> I know that, because I haven't done "make installworld yet", but I'm
> trying to validate the new kernel first. Unfortunately, there isn't
> much info on how to validate the kernel (if it boots to the shell, is
> it fine??).

It's a pretty good indication, but not definite. I once tripped over a
bug in a SCSI driver that caused failures under load, so I could do an
installworld but not a buildworld. If you've got the time, you can
always try running a buildworld on the new kernel. That's a thorough
stress test.

> 	Is there anything else I should test before make installworld?

Any hardware not touched in getting to the shell prompt that *has* to
be working on your system.

	<mike