Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:54:32 +0200
From:      Olivier Cortes <olive@deep-ocean.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Program recommendations

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 09:48:55PM -0400, Russell Francis wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 jeff@tsunamicreek.com wrote:
>
> > > Shell
> >
> > bash or tsch shell, matter of opinion.
>
> A handy feature is the [TAB] auto completion of filenames.
> I know bash has this, not sure of tsch???

why not zsh ? nobody here uses it ? it seems like bash, but a little
more "intelligent" (one could say i'm a little more lazy).
its options are outstanding. a bit hard to understand at first glance,
but very useful (like "cd" completing with only dirs...).

for editing, i use emacs and vi (considering the problem
-respectively- as writing an entire .c file or just correcting a typo
or editing rc.conf).

the best mailer i ever used is mutt. i still use it. note that i
didn't test gnus. text mailers have -at this time- still much more
features than graphics mailers.

in addition to mutt, consider using fetchmail and procmail.
this trio (fetchmail/procmail/mutt) is... is... i lack words, but in
conjonction they are probably one of the best part of my admin experience.

if you can't understand my sentences, forgive me, i don't speak
english very well...

---
Olivier Cortes
free software admin