Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:53:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        trevor@jpj.net (Trevor Johnson)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman now claims authorship of Linux

> > > Are you saying that hiring someone to make changes to a GPL'd program
> > > would violate this second provision?
> >
> > No.  He's saying that the intellectual property involved in a 40
> > line change that results from 3 years of research should be able
> > to result in sufficient revenue to pay for that research.
> >
> > In orther words, brilliant ideas and hard intellectual effort
> > should be rewarded.
>
> The original program must have been brilliantly written, if it was worth
> spending so much time on the improvements.  If the only way to get revenue
> from it is by selling binary copies and keeping the source secret, then
> the GPL would be an impediment.  Perhaps the original author would be
> willing to offer you the program under some other conditions, perhaps in
> exchange for a share of the rewards.  Wouldn't that be fair?

Except that he can't, since those 40 lines are a change to SQUID,
which is under the GPL, and if he offers them at all, he has to
offer the source code.

That's really the point: under the GPL, there's no way to amortize
R&D costs on brilliant additions resulting in derivative works.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.