Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:04:48 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New package system (was Re: Sanity regained -- back with the best)

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 04:36 AM 7/18/99 -0500, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>
>  >Feels so good to be back with FreeBSD.  I cannot believe the difference between
> >it and Linux.  Linux's multitasking can't hold a candle to FreeBSD's.  No sir,
> >no way, no how.  Tried playing MP3s under Linux on this 166 MHz box; choppy,
> >choppy, choppy.  Under FreeBSD, smooth as butter.  Simply no comparison.  And
> >the RPM system doesn't even come close, IMHO, to matching FreeBSD's
> >ports/packages system.
>
> Yep, the only one that's better, IMHO, is Debian's; among other things, it lets
> you bring things in directly from a Web browser (such as Lynx). Speaking of which,
> what is the status of FreeBSD's new ports/packages system?

When I last inquired, the new code was not far enough along to leave the
nest yet.  The other concern is it requires egcs (template support is
key I believe,) and a few other tools which had not imported into the
tree yet.  This was sometime around 3.1-RELEASE.

Jordan provided this information.  Please forgive me if I am
paraphrasing incorrectly.  An update would be helpful.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.