Date:      Sun, 22 May 2016 01:17:35 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Update 2 the state of drm-next-4.6 and next steps

--MsEL38XAg4rx1uDx

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 02:29:36AM -0700, Matthew Macy wrote:
>=20
>=20
> At least to some degree hw accelerated 3d works on the 4.6 i915 driver (w=
hich in principle supports up through Kaby lake - I don't yet have anything=
 newer than Haswell).
>=20
> https://plus.google.com/114029301710423058970/posts/485LyZegC9B
>=20
> I anticipate maintaining all the pieces: linuxkpi, drm, i915, amdgpu, amd=
kfd as ports for the foreseeable future to make maintenance and continued d=
evelopment simpler.
>=20
> I hope to post a call for testers this weekend or early next week.
>=20
> Cheers.
>=20
> -M
>=20
>=20
>  ---- On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:18:14 -0700 Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.org>=
 wrote ----=20
>  >=20
>  >=20
>  >=20
>  >  ---- On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:57:34 -0700 Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.o=
rg> wrote ----=20
>  >  > There seems to be some confusion about the state of drm-next-3.9. A=
ll the work is currently going on in jmd's fork of freebsd-base-graphics:
>  >  >=20
>  >  > https://github.com/iotamudelta/freebsd-base-graphics
>  >  >=20
>  >  > The emphasis has been on bringing i915 and the drm code  in dev/drm=
2 closer to upstream as opposed to a simple driver refresh. I'm currently i=
mplementing missing linuxkpi bits and hope to actually be testing in the ne=
xt week or so.=20
>  >  >=20
>  >  > As of this moment there is nothing available for general consumptio=
n. I very much hope to have this phase done before code freeze. I will upda=
te the list as soon as there is anything to test. Until then, hold your hor=
ses.
>  >  >=20
>  >=20
>  > X now runs i915kms accelerated on the 3.9 driver update. Currently *on=
ly* SNA works.
>  > Known issues:
>  >   -  UXA will fail with: "(EE) failed to create screen resources(EE)".=
=20
>  >        If someone has pointer on how to diagnose other than the usual =
trawling=20
>  >       through Xorg sources let me know.=20
>  >   - The module currently leaks memory on unload.
>  >=20
>  >=20
>  > My general feeling is that unless you have one of the half-dozen Haswe=
ll PCIIDS that aren't support by 3.8 it probably isn't worth testing yet. I=
'm only sending this out to let users track its progress.
>  >=20
>  >=20
>  > Cheers.
>  > -M
>=20

as a follow-up I want to share that I cherry-picked the code from the
drm-next-4.6 branch on the current source tree and I am now happily running=
 my
broadwell laptop with the i915 driver (lenovo x250) so far no problem for n=
ormal
usage. I have a few glitches with xrandr but nothing that makes it unusable.

I will test with the next version of xorg server and latest xorg intel driv=
er to
see if that fixes the glitches.

Thnak you all for you work!

Bapt