Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:09:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      d h <florence20e@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   arp/dhclient problems

I'm connecting to the internet via cable modem and i'm
having trouble
getting dhclient to work; It just hangs. I *was* just
having problems with
arp too. It seems to have gone away though. See below.

The problems started after i disconnected my router
from the cable modem,
and connected a different computer to it (for awhile).
I make sure to reboot
the cable modem everytime i change ethernet's because
it will only learn 1.
When i hooked my router back up dhclient would hang. I
ifconfiged and added
the route's which has worked everytime before except
for now. I checked out
tcpdump and saw my isp's router sending arp requests,
and getting replys
back from my router. It kept going like it wasn't
getting the reply's.
Arp -a would hang. And ping gave me request timeout's.
 I tried doing
ifconfig with the -arp parameter and the arp problem
seems to have
disappeared for now hm.
Also when i try dhclient I see it sending out requests
which never seem to
get replys. If i let dhclient sit there long enough
dhclient will sometimes
get a reply but somethings screwing up, and ifconfig
-a's output doesn't
show any ip.

I'm using 4.3-STABLE
Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

09:38:15.776913 0.0.0.0.bootpc >
255.255.255.255.bootps:  xid:0x4787021
secs:34 [|bootp] [tos 0x10]
09:38:28.467185 192.168.100.1 > 224.0.0.1:
192.168.100.1 > 224.0.0.1: igmp
v1 queryigmp query [tos 0xc0]  [ttl 1]
09:38:30.787112 0.0.0.0.bootpc >
255.255.255.255.bootps:  xid:0x4787021
secs:49 [|bootp] [tos 0x10]

my isp tells me i don't need the host-name and
dhclient has worked fine for
a long time until just now. this should be correct.

interface "dc0" {
send host-name "";
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,
          domain-name-servers, domain-name,
time-servers;
require domain-name-servers;
}