Date:      21 Jun 2002 09:28:40 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a system running multiple jails

At 2002-06-21T05:35:09Z, BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au> writes:

> Does anyone have any advice, or better still step by step procedures, on
> upgrading a system with multiple running jails.

Here is the procedure I've followed.  It isn't listed anywhere as the
`official' method, and while it works for me, I take no responsibility if it
makes your server ignite or your users hate you.  As always, run a backup
before you start the upgrade.

First off, here is an installation method from the jail(8) man page:

     D=/here/is/the/jail
     cd /usr/src
     mkdir -p $D
     make world DESTDIR=$D
     cd etc
     make distribution DESTDIR=$D -DNO_MAKEDEV_RUN
     cd $D/dev
     sh MAKEDEV jail
     cd $D
     ln -sf dev/null kernel

My upgrade process is pretty similar.  Start with the generic system upgrade
method from /usr/src/UPDATING:

     cd /usr/src
     mergemaster -p # (to add any users required to build world)
     make buildworld
     make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNELCONF
     make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNELCONF
     make installworld
     mergemaster -C

Now, for each jail on your system:

     D=/path/jailN
     make installworld DESTDIR=$D
     mergemaster -C -D $D

When finished:

     reboot

This works on my system.  Anything I've missed, anyone?
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/