Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:58:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers Mail List)
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

As the well known John Birrell said...
->Andrew Reilly wrote:
->> On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 05:59:11PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
->> > Just disk space = about 46 bytes plus the size of the XPM file.
->>
->> Is this how GNOME works?  I'm pretty sure that it's not how KDE
->> or Motif works.  Are you proposing the building of _another_ desktop
->> infrastructure?
->
->I'm not talking about the desktop itself, just the icon information
->that goes with an executable. How the particular desktop formats the
->icon is up to the desktop applications.
->
->> Besides, none of the executables in the standard FreeBSD
->> distribution do anything without arguments anyway, so you're
->> really only talking about X applications, aren't you?  Even on
->> Windows, the command-line tools don't get their own icon.
->
->Providing arguments for an executable is a separate issue to browsing
->a file system. I don't want to cloud the current subject by talking
->about how a desktop application might allow command-line tools to
->be executed.

	Since the graphic interface and the system are separated,
	I do not understand the *real* value of this (putting
	an icon in the exe). A lot of window manager are
	able to create a exe/pixmap array to handle these particular
	associations.

	I think it would be better to hack such window manager (this
	would let the users choose their icons if they want, and that
	should be (I think) a better solution. You may work with the
	(example) Window Maker people and provide a ${KnownCommercialOsName}
	compatibility mode (... not sure they will accept... Those
	linux folks are rather... anti-${KnownCommercialOsName} :)
->
->--
->John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
->CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137
->