Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 18:10:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   accounting doesn't record all programs ?

I've just observed the following situation:
I saw a user running ee (1) (it was in the ps table, and was shown
by w(1).)
However, user's connection was interrupted,
so he didn't exit from that process,
and the process was left "running".

When I ran "lastcomm" (I have accouting enabled), it didn't show "ee".

Only when I killed the process, it was reflected in the accounting
log (with all extra time accumulated).
So, the program ran by a user is logged in the accounting logs only
upon completion.

I don't worry too much about the actual accounting
(although it might be important for those who are using/selling
a paid per access time shell accounts).
What I worry is that there might be some ways that a user can run a process,
make it an orphan, and leave it there until a reboot, and then
it might not ever be logged into the accounting log.
(I might be wrong, and there might be no such scenarion, because
it will be recorded anyway upon shutdown command).

So, my questions are:
1. Can one run a process without it being logged in the accounting log
while accounting is enabled ?
2. (or 1a) Can a process name be somehow masked
(I know that using a softlink wouldn't help, the actual file
is logged)  ?
3. (or 1b) Hence, can the accounting logs be trusted as an accurate
list  of programs ran by the user ?
(assuming the logs are not altered).

Thanks,

Igor