Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time for FreeBSD.COM (freebsd.inc?)

	Well well, do I read correctly that FreeBSD is going to enlighten
itself to the commercial world of operating systems? I hope what I read is
correct. FreeBSD should be commercial and SHOULD have good tech support on
a contract basis. (Something I have suggested to Jordan for a long time.)

	For users of FreeBSD that have the time and understanding on "how
to" they should have no argument. Of course those that complain on a usual
basis (run to the hospital every time they have gastritis) will bitch
anyway. With a well run tech support group in place (and it can be done
from state to state or country to country) answering questions on how to
set up various ports (samba should be a good one)  or even those that like
myself love the FreeBSD version of Unix, but whom lack the ability to sit
and study there behinds off reading a sea of man pages which for some
part, they dont understand (usually due to lack of knowledge of the basics
needed). Will greatly learn the concepts. Sure it will cost money. But
then if one wanted to be able to find a job at a company and be able to
show the company that the person can build them a file-server for example.
He/she just might land a good and both, satisfying and rewarding job. Not
to mention the ability to start a business.

	Maybe you should consider a versions somewhat compiled like
windows in the sense that it is up and running with certain ports ready
(installed). And of course the version that is currently on cdrom. In
addition, a group of packages for support. You could have levels of
support. Maybe a basic with no 800 number with a pre-determined amount of
time for the support. Then go up from there.

	Judging from how many people I have found help from and whom dont
have jobs they like, this would definedly be a great economic spin-off.

	If you are going to implement ideas like the ones above,
undoubtably your organization will grow. And your system (FreeBSD Unix)
will be a lot more learnable by us non-Unix gurus'

	Jordan hook up with a GOOD marketing company. Please announce to
some of us from 1.1.5 when you make it public. The shares will go up by
leaps and bounds. Marketing is the key for that.

lanny