Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:14:40 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, clefevre@noos.fr, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for bsd.lib.mk to create include and lib dirs

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 03:38:07PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Peter Pentchev wrote:
> >
> > > But why have a define for this?  Why not check to make sure that
> > > directory is missing before trying to create it?
> >
> > I'd rather it was a define, because automatically creating directories
> > might mean new directories *in the source tree* are left out of the
> > hier mtree files.
>
> I don't understand this. There's a problem when the library is being
> installed. This either means that the directory has not been added in
> Makefile.inc1 or that the mtree files need to be updated. In both cases,
> creating the directory obfuscates a bug. The proper fix would be to add
> the directory to wherever it had to be created in the first place.
> Right?

That's just what I meant - creating the directory automatically could
(and probably would) obfuscate bugs in the FreeBSD source tree.
As I stated in my original post though, this patch is meant for outside
software packages which might still like to use bsd.lib.mk, install
their stuff in /usr/local or such, and have the install fail because
no one has created /usr/local/include/outsidepkg/.  It is for packages
like this that I want this define - packages which know they shall be
creating directories no hier file has catered for, and which have to
explicitly specify CREATEDESTDIRS=yes.

And once again, yes, I know this can be done by overriding the
beforeinstall target, but this requires knowledge of the inner workings
of bsd.lib.mk - namely, explicitly invoking ${MAKE} _includeinstall.
I suspect _includeinstall has that underscore for a reason ;)

G'luck,
Peter

--
I am the meaning of this sentence.