Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:33:50 -0500
From:      Brad Cox <bcox@virtualschool.edu>
To:        andy@kksonline.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java crashes on FreeBSD?

As I said, installing new jdks from source is hard to impossible
because of space shortage on the freebsd server. I'd have to
unload files (via modem!) to make space.

If some kind soul could provide a binary jre with libraries for
freebsd it would save an enormous amount of work. Only need the
jre, not the full jdk. Whatever version is most stable, 1.2 or
later.

I've reconfigured the server so apache will handle the static
pages, so it isn't quite so critical now if the dynamic pages go
belly up.

I've moved to a later jdk on linux and will revisit the freebsd
situation during my next upload cycle. Currently using java
version "1.2.2" Classic VM (build Linux_JDK_1.2.2_FCS, native
threads, sunwjit). Will consider jdk1.3 next.

On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 04:55 PM, Aleksander Rozman -
Andy wrote:

> At 29.11.2001, you wrote:
>
> Hi Brad !
>
> Try to build java 1.3.1 version on FreeBSD. As people say it
> sghould be working OK. Ok this two applic. are servlets... try
> using java 1.3.1 and try using another serverl server, our
> people talked about orion, it should be quite reliable, or
> maybe you could try jakarta tomcat?
>
> But first try new java. Recompile by hand because I think that
> port is still not working 100%.
>
> Take care.
> Andy
>
> P.S.: Let me know what you did?
>

>> I've just joined this list. Sorry if this has been covered
>> already. If so please provide explicit pointers. I've read the
>> java pages at freebsd.org which didn't hold out much hope.
>>
>> I've two web-based applications
>> (http://virtualschool.edu/mybank and
>> http://virtualschool.edu/jwaa), based on Jetty, that are
>> deployed on a FreeBSD  server colocated with HostPro. This is
>> their "Freedom 400" account that provides root access to a
>> "virtual" FreeBSD machine whatever that means.
>>
>> Problem is, the application are disappearing off the net every
>> couple of days leaving no diagnostics to go by in the log
>> files. ps ax shows that the whole VM disappears, not just
>> jetty or the two applications. If a core file exists, I've not
>> managed to find it.
>>
>> My development server is Redhat Linux 7.0. I'd been using the
>> IBM JDK for development and the Linux 1.2.2 FreeBSD port for
>> deployment until I recently found incompatibilities due to
>> this difference. So I started using the same JDK on both
>> systems (1.2.2), which fixed that problem, leaving me with the
>> one described above.
>>
>> I've considered downgrading both servers to JDK1.1.8 hoping
>> that might be more stable, but a quick test of that failed.
>> May dig into that further if this posting doesn't help.
>>
>> Space is very tight there so installing/testing new
>> infrastructure is hard. I've tried upgrading FreeBSD to the
>> latest IBM JDK but there's not enough space to download and
>> compile the source distributions.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate some thoughtful advice from someone
>> familiar with FreeBSD. At this point the only other option I
>> can think of is to change hosting providers to one that
>> supports Linux. In particular:
>>
>>         1) Is the Linux 1.2.2 port thought to be stable on FreeBSD?
>>         2) Is reverting to JDK 1.1.8 likely to improve matters?
>>         3) Is upgrading to IBM 1.3.x likely to improve matters
>> if I can overcome the space problem somehow?
>>         4) Does someone have a cron script handy that could
>> restart jetty as a workaround?
>>         5) Am on the wrong track altogether?

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-java" in the body of the message

> *
> *  Aleksander Rozman - Andy  * Fandoms:  E2:EA, SAABer,
> Trekkie, Earthie *
> *     andy@kksonline.com     * Sentinel, BH 90210, True's
> Trooper,       *
> [...]
Brad Cox, Ph.D.; bcox@virtualschool.edu 703 361 4751
For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.
For everything else there is http://virtualschool.edu/mybank
Java Web Application Architecture: http://virtualschool.edu/jwaa