Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 02:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Timothy P. Sparks" <Timothy.Sparks@GDEsystems.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Next Level.....

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Timothy P. Sparks wrote:

>   What happend next still defies comprehension. I inserted the first load
> disk, /bin.aa etc and pressed the enter key. It started to read the disk
> and about that time, I accidently hit a key on the keyboard and the system
> gave a "PANIC" message crashed and rebooted. The keyboard that I got with
> this system has a few keys that have "MS-Windows" symbols on them and that
> is one of the keys that I hit. Perhaps this is only a coincidence. I don't
> know.

That is strange.  Those win95 keys must have some power behind them.  :)

> Ever since then, though, I can't get the boot disk to get beyond
> the "newfs" part of the program. It gives a write error which is covered
> by a graphical window message the says "error mounting /mnt/dev/sd0s1e
> on /mnt/var".

I have had the same problem on some of my installations.  If the install
dies, delete the install partition and start over.  Apparently sysinstall
can't deal with installing over an existing filesystem with it set to
newfs the disk.

>   On a different, forward looking note, I downloaded via FTP, the files
> bin/bin.aa - bin/bin.cp, checksums and install.sh. Does install.sh
> need to be on the first disk with checksums? Will the fact that
> checksums was truncated to checksum cause problems? Do those files
> in the bin directory contain the entire load or is that the basic
> installation? If so, what other files do I need to get the full install?

The floppy install isn't well documented.  I did it by putting six (?)
archives on each 1.4MB floppy.  I put the leftovers (checksum,
install.sh, et al) on the final floppy.  I inserted each disk in turn.  I
think sysinstall counts disks and not files, so you could put them in
reverse order if you want.  :-)

After that everything was OK.  checksum errors might make it complain but
won't kill install I think.

> None of the readme files that I've found so far document this. Finally,
> do any of you know of anyone local to the San Diego area that I may be
> able to contact for assistance as well? As I said in a previous email,
> in the past, I've only been a "user" of UNIX, with some crude sys admin
> experience. There is much about the low level features I haven't been
> exposed to.....until now. As always, your assistance is appreciated.

I'm several hundred miles north of you so I'm out.  :-)