Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:23:03 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
To:        Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Err.. cat exploit.. (!)

Jay Tribick wrote:
> Was just having a look in /var/log the other day and spotted
> a file called sendmail.st, wondering what it was I cat'd it
> and here's what it did:

Quote without comment ...

MAILSTATS(8)            FreeBSD System Manager's Manual           MAILSTATS(8)

NAME
     mailstats - display mail protocol statistics

SYNOPSIS
     mailstats [-o] [-C sendmail.cf] [-f sendmail.st]

DESCRIPTION
     Mailstats displays mail statistics on a per mailer basis.  Each line of
     output contains the mailer number, the count and byte-count of incoming
     messages, the count and byte-count of outgoing messages, and the name of
     the mailer unless the -o flag is specified.  Common mailers include smtp
     and local (eg: mail.local, the program which handles local delivery of
     mail).

     Statistics are read from the sendmail statistics file sendmail.st, the
     location of which is defined in sendmail.cf, or specified with the -f
     flag.  Mailers are likewise defined in the sendmail.cf file.  Statistics
     are cumulative; zero the statistics file to reset the counters.

FILES
     /etc/sendmail.cf      sendmail configuration file
     /var/log/sendmail.st  sendmail statistics file

SEE ALSO
     mail.local(8),  sendmail(8)

BSD                             August 13, 1996                              1 of the message

--
Drew Derbyshire         UUPC/extended e-mail:  software@kew.com
                                   Telephone:  617-279-9812

"For every bug fixed, there is a bigger bug not yet discovered."