Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:39:56 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Velko Ivanov <dachev@nove.bg>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_5 installworld fails

On Friday 25 February 2005 11:46 am, Velko Ivanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a freshly cvsup-ed to RELENG_5 i386 machine failed during 'make
> installworld' today with reason 'uuencode: can not find uuencode' in
> the share/syscons/scrnmaps directory.
> I changed the Makefile in /usr/src/share/syscons/scrnmaps, specifying
> the absolute path to the uuencode executable -
> /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/uuencode/uuencode and the installation
> finished without errors.
> I'm not very familiar with the build system, so I'm wondering if I
> did some mistake to get this error, and can I expect the system to
> work well after my intervention, or is it better to cvsup again and
> reinstall? If I get to this, I will cvsup to RELENG_5_3, I wouldn't
> update to RELENG_5 if I knew it was 5.4-PRERELEASE - my mistake.

Nothing has changed in those specific areas since 2/11 and I have
successful builds on 2/11 and 2/24. A current cvsup also shows no
changes. That makes it look like an error on your end. I log my cvsup
runs and then convert it into HTML. That lets me browse the changes
back to cvsweb.cgi.

So, you need to supply more info. Are you setting any special parameters
in /etc/make.conf? Did you follow UPDATING as far as the sequence of
buildworld, [build/install]kernel, boot to single user mode and do the
installworld? Before this build, when did you last update your system?

Since I have done the cvsup of src-all, I am going to update my system
but on 5-stable that takes awhile :). There were a number of changes
and I might as well get up todate again.

Look at what you have done and see if there may be areas that affect the
builds and installs. Since you got it to install, another go at the
whole process may produce a update that doesn't error off.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA