Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:28:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems with IDE DMA

Bruce Evans writes:
 > After successfully testing IDE DMA for a little while (reading rwd0,
 > fsck -n and bonnie -s 64 worked fine) I got the following messages
 > after the write stages for bonnie -s 64:
 >
 >     wd0: interrupt timeout:
 >     wd0: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 0
 >     wd0: interrupt timeout:
 >     wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>
 >     wd0: interrupt timeout:
 >     wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>
 >     wd0: interrupt timeout:
 >     wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>
 >     wd0: Last time I say: interrupt timeout.  Probably a portable PC.:
 >     wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>

from the messages, it would *seem* as though you have a bad sector on
the drive.  you might try dd'ing the entire raw drive in PIO mode and
seeing if any error messages crop up.

 > The system then drifted South:
 > - no more interrupt timeouts, but wd seemed to get stuck in single
 >   sector mode.  ls on the bonnie output file was very slow, and
 >   systat reported about 20 interrupts/sec, 10 "blks", and often
 >   "***** msps" (division by 0?).

curious.  that's single sector mode, along with a significant delay.

 > - long before the 13107 seconds required to read 128MB at 10K/sec,
 >   the system hung (the keyboard LEDs didn't work).

curiouser.  well, i guess the error handling *does* need a bit of
work.

 > - the test drive was dead after hard reset.
 > - the test drive was OK after cycling the power.

this i wouldn't worry too much about.  low-end quantums use a cheesy
single-CPU/DSP design for their controller, and they seem to hang
without too much provocation and with no permanent effect.

 > Boot-time log messages:

 >     ide_pci0: <Intel PIIX Bus-master IDE controller> rev 0x02 on pci0.7.1
 >     ide_pci: warning, ide0:0 not configured for DMA?
 >     ide_pci: warning, ide0:1 not configured for DMA?
 >     ide_pci: warning, ide1:0 not configured for DMA?
 >     ide_pci: warning, ide1:1 not configured for DMA?
 >     wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ffa0ff on isa
 >     wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM2110A>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
 >     wd0: 76kB cache 2014MB (4124736 sectors), 4092 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

boot -v messages, motherboard, and BIOS, please? :)

  --jh

--
John Hood				cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us

Predictably, they all eventually wandered away, rubbing their bruises
and brushing mud out of their hair.  Some went off to work for the
ESA, launching much smaller rockets into low orbits, while others
elected to sit on their front porches drinking Jim Beam from the
bottle and launching bottle rockets from the empties. [Jordan Hubbard]