Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2005 13:43:40 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with digital camera

On 01/01/05 01:13 PM, Trey Sizemore sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 12:53 -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > I have that same model.  I never bothered to try hooking it directly
> > to the USB port.  The camera uses CompactFlash cards, so I picked up a
> > SanDisk USB reader (Sandisk PN: SDDR-31) and hooked it to the USB
> > port.  All I needed in the kernel config was the umass device, which
> > it sounds like you already have.
> >
> > Then I just mount the inserted card as a dos partition (usually
> > /dev/da0s1) and I can move pics to my filesystem (mv, not cp).  This cleans
> > out the card and preserves the timestamp on the file, so I don't have
> > to otherwise mar my pic with an auto date label to know when I took
> > it.
> >
> > Another advantage, is you can buy a couple cards, and the camera isn't
> > tied down for the upload.
> >
> > What may (or may not) be related, is that I have to have the reader
> > mounted prior to boot, or the /dev/da0 device doesn't show in the /dev
> > partition.  When the card in inserted, it's detected and the
> > /dev/da0s1 device appears.  There may be a way to get the USB device
> > to rescan, but I'm not that fluent with USB.
> >
> > I had the same setup on FreeBSD versions, 4.8, 4.9, 4.10, and now 5.3
> > RELEASE.  Works like a charm.  And yes, I bought mine way back when it
> > cost a good months rent :|
> >
> > Good luck.
> > Lou
>
> Months rent...same here ;-)
>
> I have a SanDisk reader as well.  Are you saying you plug the card in
> the SanDisk reader and *then* boot?  It won't work "on-the-fly"?

No, my reader has to be plugged in at boot, but inserting the card
works on the fly.  Your device may be different, but mine has always
been /dev/da0s1 for the card itself.

The /dev partition is pretty manageable in 5.3, so you might try an
ls /dev
and look for /dev/da0*.  It might just jump out at you.  I do an ls
before inserting the card, and I see da0, but not da0s1.  After
inserting the card, da0s1 is there.  Sometimes it's instantaneous,
other times it takes a couple attempts to mount, but it works.

Perhaps someone else on the list will know how to get the reader
detected on the fly without a reboot, or perhaps the command to check
the reader for an inserted card?

I had thought camcontrol was it, but it doesn't seem to recognize that
the card was removed.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org