Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:03:34 -0400
From:      Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: many cheap PC164 boards -- gret for NetBSD (fwd)

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 10:49:08AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > A store near me has/had these boards with a 500 mhz chip for $250. They also
> > have/had the pc164lx with a 533 chip for $800, which is what im planning to
> > get. If any of you want the pc164's with chips for 250 plus shipping let me
> > know and i can check if the place still has them.
>
> Please find out how many are available - we (the project) would love
> to buy about 5 of them and make complete systems out of them for
> developers. We've also mailed Thor, but I don't know if we've gotten
> a reply yet.

Sorry for the lack of response -- as I told Wilko, I didn't anticipate that
he'd forward my email to the FreeBSD list, and I've been trying to pin down
exactly how many boards I _can_ get, due to the unanticipated extra demand;
the larger number of boards has also meant that I may have a cash-flow issue
unless I can negotiate the price down enough.  I expected to buy about 25-30;
now, with massive demand from NetBSD/alpha folks (these are very popular for
servers, since they're very stable and if you put 8 SIMMs in them they have
more memory bandwidth than the LX boards, too) and the additional FreeBSD
people, it looks like I'm going to end up needing at least 60, possibly more.

I've been discussing all this with the vendor and will mail out an update
within a few days, probably by Monday at the latest.

Thor

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"