Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 22:40:19 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, root@synthcom.com
Subject:   Re: DOS File system fixes

>> There are several reports that enabling DOS f/s read/write can damage
>> other file systems.

I haven't seen such a report for a long time, or such report with enough
details (not even from me after I saw the problem :-)

>It seems that if you use FIPS or PRESIZE or "Partition Magic" to resize
>your partition, the cluster size will not be reduced.

>This results in crap being written out to the "phantom" locations as if
>it were a bigger disk.

This should only affect the slice containing the DOS file system.  The
device number would have to be corrupted for a write to affect another
device.

>There is some indication that mark-for-update occurs on read-only devices,
>and that for MSDOSFS, this update actually takes place.

I think this was fixed a long time ago.

Bruce