Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:23:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ingo Flaschberger <if@freebsd.org>
To:        Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing enhancement - reduce routing table locking

--168430090-1859668186-1302013430=:2152

> Can you say something more about :
>    "implement some multipath changes to use a direct attached
>      interface route and a real route, used some OpenBSD code"
>
> I've looked at the patch but it's not obvious to me.
>
> P.S.: I've just saw your reply to kern/155772 and was wondering if this patch can help.

regarding kern/155772:
at stock 8.2 FreeBSD the system panics after ifconfig down / ifconfig up /
ifconfig down with 1 route and 1 interface route (multipath).

Also there are problems with arp, due wrong multipath route selection
(if the decision is already made that the route should go the direct way,
the route and not the interface route is choosen, depends on which route
was first in the tree).
And finally, there are problems when adding / deleteing routes.

example that does not work:
ifconfig em0 192.168.0.1/24
ifconfig em1 10.0.0.1/24
route add 10.0.0.0/24 192.168.0.2

example that currently works with 8.2:
ifconfig em0 192.168.0.1/24
ifconfig em1 10.0.0.1/24
route add 172.16.0.0/24 192.168.0.2
route add 172.16.0.0/24 10.0.0.2

Kind regards,
 	Ingo Flaschberger
--168430090-1859668186-1302013430=:2152--