Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:12:22 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Start MySQL at system startup

Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org> types:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:32:13PM -0500, Patrick J. McNamee wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Joseph Koenig wrote:
> > > What file do I edit to make MySQL start when my system starts up? I know
> > > on my linux box it was /etc/rc.d/rc.local but that doesn't exist on
> > > FreeBSD. I looked at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and /etc/, but didn't see
> > > anything that looked promising (basically, i didn't want to edit the
> > > wrong file and break my system). I looked at the mysql web site under
> > > the starting and stopping mysql automatically section, but that didn't
> > > really help either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,
> > I use /etc/rc.local.
> That's the wrong file to edit imho.  The system rc.* files in /etc/
> shouldn't be used to start local packages.

So you think overriding things like syslogd_program in /etc/rc.conf to
point at a local package is wrong?

You are right about rc.local. It's marked as "rather obsolete" in
/etc/rc. The rc.d directories provide a much better mechanism for
starting and stopping daemons. It looks like 5.0 will extend paradigm
to system packages as well, though it's not certain yet.

	<mike