Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:50:58 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@Shockwave.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   devfs /dev with -current?

When I create a fstab with:

dev				/dev		devfs	rw
/dev/sd0s2a			/		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s2b			none		swap	sw
/dev/sd0s2e			/var		ufs	rw 1 2
/dev/sd0s2f			/usr		ufs	rw 1 3
/dev/sd0s2g			/a		ufs	rw 1 4
/dev/sd0s1			/dos		msdos	rw,noauto
/dev/sd1s1			/dos2		msdos	rw,noauto
/dev/cd0a			/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto
proc				/proc		procfs	rw
localhost:/null			/crypt		nfs	rw,noauto,intr,port=3049,-P,-c,-r2048,-w2048

I get errors from mount saying "specified device does not match
moutned device" indicating that the kernel returned an EINVAL in
response to the mount system call.

NOTE: This is similar output, but -not- the same problem msmith just fiex.
      I have an up-to-date kernel and an up-to-date mount program.

If I "noauto" the devfs entry, and just use my old /dev directory,
everything is cool.  Additionally, I've checked the sd0s2a minor/major
numbers between /dev and the devfs /dev and they match.

Is anyone running -current and DEVFS as their actual /dev directory
and booting that way?  If so, what do you do?