Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 14:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Relationship between buf/page/vnode/object?

After studying VM source code for two months, I have understood the
general ideas in it. All the pages (vm_page structures) belong to a
object/pindex pair and virtual memory/physical memory is decoupled by
introducing the VM object.

What confuses me now is that vnode and buf structures can also have pages
(vm_page structures) associated with them.  But file system cache and VM
cache are unified and should have a consistent interface. I mean all pages
should only hang off the vm_object structures.

I hope that someone can describe the relationship of these important
structures (vm_object, vm_page, vnode, buf) briefly for me.  I have
searched the MailingList Archive in vain.

Any help is appreciated.