Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:37:32 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Manuel Wiesinger <manuel@lungenarzt-wien.at>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PORTVERSION when there is no upstream version number

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Manuel Wiesinger
<manuel@lungenarzt-wien.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the best practice for setting PORTVERSION, when the upstream port
> has no version number? Is it fine to go with the date like 20141021?
>
> I'm trying to port postscreen-stats, which is just a collection of small
> scripts without any version numbering.
> See: https://github.com/jvehent/Postscreen-Stats

According to the Porters Handbook:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-naming.html

You can set PORTVERSION to 0.0.yyyy.mm.dd or 1.0 (if original author
is not going to release another version).

--
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.