Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:38:48 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CARP not balancing automatically

--Apple-Mail-17-792618478
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Oct 23, 2006, at 4:21 PM, Vivek Khera wrote:

>> Sounds like you forgot the net.inet.carp.preempt sysctl.  See the
>> begining
>> of the EXAMPLES section of carp(4).
>
> But I don't have multiple interfaces that all need to go up/down
> together.  I need one carp interface to be master and one backup on
> box A, and the opposite master/backup on box B.  Or am I totally
> misunderstanding with the preemtp sysctl is for?

Forgot to mention that setting preempt sysctl does instantly make the
carp load balanced interfaces work as expected: balancing the load by
offering one master on each server.

So I'll say that the example needs to be made more clear that preempt
needs to be on.  It seems to me that preempt off is a mostly useless
configuraiton for load balance, but probably not for just simple
failover.

--Apple-Mail-17-792618478--