Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:05:39 +0100
From:      "Aman Jassal" <aman.jassal@esigetel.fr>
To:        "Chris Ruiz" <chris@young-alumni.com>, <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NDIS - True OR False

Hello Chris,

1)
>From my personal experience, NDIS doesn't work well with Vista drivers, but
I was working with Wifi USB dongles (and it was about 5 months ago). I had
tried to make a NDIS driver for a Netgear WG111v2 Wifi USB dongle, using the
Vista driver provided by Netgear, but it just never worked. However I also
had a Netgear WG111v2 Wifi USB dongle, but I had the XP driver for it, and
NDIS managed to produce a module that could support my dongle on a FreeBSD
7.0 box.
Now the thing is, I have been working on that about 5 or 6 months ago,
perhaps now the people from Project Evil have done some work to support
Vista drivers. I was working with Wifi USB dongles, and I knew that NDIS
does struggle to make modules to support such devices.

2)
As said previously, NDIS should work with drivers for AMD-64. But then
again, I haven't worked with AMD-64 myself, so I can't provide strong
support T_T

If you are looking to use FreeBSD with wireless cards or devices, I would
suggest you take a look at the various drivers included in FreeBSD : an ;
ath ; awi ; ipw ; iwi ; netintro ; ral ; rum ; ural ; wi ; wlan_ccmp ;
wlan_tkip ; wlan_wep ; wlan_wauth ; zyd. Have a look at the man-pages of
these drivers, the various devices and chipsets supported are mentionned,
that way you can use a wireless card without having the trouble to use Ndis
to make a kernel module to support your device. Just in case...

Hope you find it useful. Good luck

Aman Jassal