Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:54:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> > I have a brand new Compaq Proliant box here, which has a Smart Array 53=
02
> > controller (ciss driver). I did some performance testing on it (with
> > bonnie++), but I wasn't quite satisfied, the throughput on the Smart Ar=
ray
> > is rather low. So I thought I have a look with camcontrol on it:
>
> What were your performance numbers, anyway?

If you are interested, you can find some figures at
<http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/bonnie.html>. I tested two Compaq
Proliant boxes, one with a Smart Array Controller and a Smart Array, one
with a Dual Channel Host Adapter (with Adaptec Chip) and a SCSI/IDE Raid
Subsystem (speaks SCSI on the outside, has IDE disks inside). The SCSI/IDE
Raid figures are often significantly higher. If you want to know more
details, just mail me.

> > camcontrol: XPT_SET_TRANS_SETTINGS CCB failed, status 0x6
>
> The driver doesn't support the XPT_SET_TRANS_SETTINGS CCB, but it does
> support the XPT_GET_TRAN_SETTINGS CCB.  So you can get the transfer
> negotiation settings, but you can't set them.

Hm.

> I would suggest using the 'tags' camcontrol command to see how many tag
> openings there are for the device, that might be more informative.

Ok:

[root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol tags da1 -v
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): dev_openings  1
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): dev_active    0
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): devq_openings 1
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): devq_queued   0
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): held          0
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): mintags       2
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): maxtags       255

> > Apart from that: the ciss driver is fairly new AFAIK, I didn't find a l=
ot
> > of references to it on the web. Would you recommend it for production u=
se?
> > Is there any testing going for userland tools (status control a.s.o.)?
>
> Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org> would be the one to ask.

Is he on this list?

Thanks for your quick answer.

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/