Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 06:30:47 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        Rob Gridley <rob@mhzdesign.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel and userland versions

On Monday 13 May 2002 05:30 am, you wrote:
> Sorry if this sounds like a newbie question. I haven't been able to find an
> answer anywhere else.
>
> I know running say a 4.x kernel with a 3.x system is a bad idea, but what
> about a 4.5-RELEASE-p4 kernel with a 4.5-RELEASE system? Is this a problem?
>
> I have to recompile the kernel for other reasons and I saw that p4 has some
> security updates, but I'd rather not 'make world'. Just extra work for me!
>
> Thanks!
>

>                         Rob Gridley  |  416.626.1777
>                System Administrator  |  rob@mhzdesign.com
>           MHz Design Communications  |  http://www.mhzdesign.com

It's never a good idea to run a kernel that's out of sync with the userland.
The only time you should boot from a different kernel is in an emergency. The
kernel / userland really a matched unit and getting them out of sync will
definately cause you extra work down the road. Also don't forget to do a
mergemaster after you update.

Beech
      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957