Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:46:14 +0100
From:      George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sabine225@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 07:05:45PM -0700, sabine225@home.com wrote:

> It's horrendous.

So is a basic inability to RTFM...

> I don't want CURRENT I want STABLE, STABLE sounds better. But all the
> docs say no problem just say

If you want -STABLE because "it sounds better", you don't want -STABLE.
In fact, you probably don't want to upgrade at all and this entire thread is
pointless...

> Tell me is it, "RELENG_4" ?

For 4.4-STABLE, yes.

> AND docs say if you make any kind of a typo in this
> tag=make_a_wild_guess it will delete all the files that don't match your
> system. Nice.

And if you do "rm -rf /" you will remove all of the files on your system
(without the schg attribute etc), even if you didn't mean to.  Welcome to
the wonderful world of UNIX, where stupid people can do stupid things
with ease...

> Yea, it's probably not that tough, it just that the documentation blows.

And your patches to improve it can be downloaded from where?

> YOU tell me this wasn't written by mutants:

I'll tell you that CVSup wasn't written by "mutants".  It was written by
people who know infinitely more about the subject than you do.  Perhaps
the documentation leaves something to be desired (which is why I assume
your patches against it will be forthcoming), but that's no reflection on
the quality of the software.

--
George C A Reid			   Tel: (08701) 200870  Ext. 26654
Oriel College, Oxford University        george.reid@oriel.ox.ac.uk