Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Justinkib@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

> From: Justinkib@aol.com
> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 02:49:50 EDT
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> ... How do I access my 3.5" Disk Drive from FreeBSD?
You mount the floppy and access it like any other directory.
For example,

# mount /dev/fd0a /mnt	# do this as root
# ls /mnt		# if /mnt is 0755, do this as any user
# cp .cshrc /mnt	# if /mnt is 0755, do this as root
			# or mount /dev/fd0a on a user's directory
# umount /mnt		# do this as root

Or, without mounting,
cd /etc
tar -cvzf /dev/fd0a .	# do this as root
tar -tvzf /dev/fd0a	# do this as root

>...What do I need to download to get X-Windows,
As root,

cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
make install

You need to do some reading to get started.  Look at
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/* and http://www.xfree86.org/.  You may need to
use /usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe and /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup to do the
setup.  Spend a couple of days reading and save yourself weeks of
agony.

>...how would I Start X-Windows from a prompt?

After installing XFree86, you MUST read the documents provided.  It is
VERY IMPORTANT that you read and understand these documents.  Look at
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/* You need to change /etc/ttys to start X,
after you get the setup complete.  For testing, you can start X from
the console with '/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm', as root.

Read the FreeBSD Handbook on http://www.freebsd.org