Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:29:22 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:02:28PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > > That is also partly why you are also lacking the respect and support of
> > > a wider audience. If you act like FreeBSD is just a "developer's
> > > sandbox", that's what it will be. If you want it to be something
> > > greater than that, you must consider what you are doing to third party
> > > developers and end users.
> >
> > Developers and early adopters are the ones tracking -STABLE. Users are
> > installing binary snapshots and releases.
>
> Some users do install snapshots and/or releases.  Snap shots occur on a
> regular basis and are affected by this change in API.
>
> > No-one in their right mind would release a module for "4.0-STABLE
> > sometime between april and may". They release for 4.0-RELEASE or
> > 4.1-RELEASE, this would not cause problems for those people.
>
> Ahh.. the problem occurs with user Z running snap 4.0-stable 4/30 when
> trying to use vendor X module for 4.0-release.  Get it??
I certainly do. Your "attribute deamon" left out one level of identification.

There are two problems here:

1) How often do the interfaces change?
IMHO, too often. These sandboxers have no concept of third party issues.

2) How do we identify the version of the interface?
Even if we ignore the number of "different interfaces", being able to readily
recognize which one a customer has is important.

Maybe the developers need to be sentenced to a tour on the customer service
lines. It might open their eyes.