Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:48:06 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jamil Taylor" <jamil_taylor@pobox.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: System Hang During tar Backup

[Moved from -stable to -scsi, as that seems to be where the problem is.]

Jamil Taylor <jamil_taylor@pobox.com> types:
> I attempted this one more time and got it to work. What I had to do this
> time was reboot the machine in single user mode. I entered the following
> commands after pressing space during boot:
>
> unload
> load kernel
> boot -s
>
> After boot, I mounted all drives and successfully used tar to backup all
> files. I used the same tar syntax, with the exception of running it verbose.
>
> If I now have to use tar in single user mode, so be it. I did not have to do
> this previously though.

Having updated today - or rather tried to - I'm now seeing similar
problems. Keyboard input is obviously active, and the console driver
will let me switch virtual ttys, but no user processes seem to be
getting any cpu. There's no tape drive involved in freezing the
system, just disk activity across multiple devices on the
controller. In particular, I've got:

<SEAGATE ST39236LW 0004>           at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<SEAGATE ST39173W 5958>            at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)

attached to:

<Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xfebff000-0xfebfffff irq 10 at device 14.0 on pci0

I can get it to freeze reliably - meaning every time I tried to start
X - on a kernel supped earlier today, wherease the one from June 24th
has no problems.

I've got a debugging kernel built, but don't know if I'll have time to
do any work on this in the next two weeks. I should be dealing with
email, though.

James, you might report your hardware configuration as well.

	<mike