Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:54:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comments on X dependency patch?

 * I say go for it.  Not only will this help prevent needless
 * USE_X11s, but it will also make Sue Blake happy.  :)

Well, I hope I made myself clear, I intend to replace USE_X11 with
USE_X_PREFIX and add a new USE_X11 that does exactly what it says
(depend on X).  This is a wholescale change, and we'll have hundreds
of new USE_X11 ports.

 * What sort of changes are required in sysinstall and/or pkg_add?
 *
 * Of course, if any changes are needed to either, the standard
 * "upgrade your ports subsystem" package will need to take those
 * changes into account, too.

Make sure /var/db/pkg/XFree86-3.3.2 is populated when XFree86
libraries are installed from the X distribution as part of sysinstall,
not a port.  Otherwise package users will see a warning that the
package "XFree86-3.3.2.tgz" is not found.  (It doesn't matter for
ports users because it's a LIB_DEPEND, so it won't be part of the
"upgrade your ports" subsystem.)

 * > +.elif defined(NO_CONFIGURE)
 * > +IGNORE=	"defines NO_CONFIGURE, which is obsoleted"
 * > +.elif defined(NO_PATCH)
 * > +IGNORE=	"defines NO_PATCH, which is obsoleted"
 *
 * Are these two really really needed?  I can't think of a way that

It has nothing to do with the rest of the patch.  It's just something
that has been annoying me for awhile. :)

 * a port defining NO_CONFIGURE (or NO_PATCH) will be broken by this
 * patch, and so far as removing all the NO_CONFIGUREs (and
 * NO_PATCH) from the existing ports, there are better ways (surely
 * I don't need to suggest man's best friend, "grep" ;-).  Standard
 * portlint(1) can prevent any new NO_CONFIGUREs (and NO_PATCHs).
 *
 * Everyone does use portlint(1) before they import a new port,
 * right?  (<ahem>)

It's just that new ones keep coming in.  There isn't any NO_CONFIGURE
or NO_PATCH in the ports tree so this patch won't break any existing
port.  It will prevent new ones from being submitted.

Satoshi