Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:06:56 -0500
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS boot with two disks

I'm wanting to set up a simple home file server and basic dev box with
FreeBSD.  I have two 500GB disks that I want to put in it, one of which
is empty after cleaning up.  I hope to use gpt and zfs for the disks,
but I'm unsure about some parts.  A lot of the stuff referring to
booting doesn't mention concating disks(I'll take my risks) for root.
I do want the second disk bootable as a fixit disk.

For a fixit disk, is it better to use UFS or use ZFS for consistency?
If I use two pools, one for booting and the other for data, how much of
the system needs to be on the booting pool?  I'm hoping to set up the
disks before putting into the new computer, so will adding the second
disk's space to the pool cause any problems?  Everything I've looked at
talks about single disk booting or using a raid just for data storage,
so this seems to be a lesser used approach.

And finally, would it just be better to stick with tried and true UFS
with the MBR or are the benefits good enough?