Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:04:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        pixel@DotCom.FR (Emmanuel DELOGET)
Cc:        thallgren@yahoo.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

Emmanuel DELOGET wrote:
> 	Of course. But I speak about the new wave of WMs. Those things, named
> 	E, Window Maker and so on, have some desktop functionnalities that are
> 	incorporated with the wm (such as icon-based quick app launcher and so
> 	on - could you say me that a qal is a needed part of a wm ?).
>
> 	Plus : they (the wms) have a bunch of config file that any application
> 	could read (such as the themes files, or, more easily (for example in
> 	Window Maker), the iconsets files).

If someone copies a file to some arbitrary directory or creates a link
to an existing file, all those configuration files are out-of-date.
I can't image how non-hacker-type users could manage that sort of
configuration complexity.

Did you look at the demo application I referred to in my original mail?
Try it! Then see if you can come up with a window-manager based
implementation that provides the same level of functionality and
performance.

> 	So I really think that it is better to hack the wm - or, if you
> 	prefer, to create gnome/whatever proggies to handle this - than to
> 	hack the fbsd kernel.

The FreeBSD kernel is not affected. I'm not proposing to specify what
the desktop looks like, just the information that is made available
to the desktop programs.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137