Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:48:24 +0100
From:      "Kevin Kyeong-il CHOI" <kevin.choi@cnes.fr>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How can I make my IDE CD-ROM work ?

Dear Paul,

It's great to hear from you.

Thank you for a quick answer.

First of all, the device /dev/wcd0c exists, but NOT /dev/wcd0a. curious...
When I try to mount, it showed the following message;

    pc-freebsd# mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
    mount_cd9660: /dev/wcd0c : Device not configured

Then, I looked in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC, to find the 2 following
lines were
commented.

    #option    ATAPI
    #device    wcd0

OK, I made them uncommented and rebuilt the kernel. (2 hour job ... :(...
Hueee)

Wow.
I got the message that says

    wdc0: unit 0 (wd0) : <SAMSUNG SHD-30560A (APRO-5) SSI>
    wd0: 534 MB (1094688 sectors), 1086 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
    wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <GCD-R540/1.18>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
    wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable
tray
    wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked, lock protected
    wdc1 not found at 0x170

Then as root, I typed

    mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom

It WORKED !!!!!

Yesterday, I repeated the same thing, but at that time, I think I changed
too many
things in the GENERIC file, and once it's rebuilt, it wouldn't reboot at
all.
This time, with only the uncommenting the 2 lines gave me back the CDROM.

Thanks everyone and hope it helps Jamie as well.