Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 19:20:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, john@zyqad.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

Rodney W. Grimes stands accused of saying:
> > But that's what I'm getting at; if you take a 1G disk that costs twice as
> > much as some other 500M disk, it'll generally have _better_ performance
> > characteristics.

> XX. BAS DEC3053L Dec/Quantum 535MB 3.5"x1", SCSI-II, 5400 RPM, 9.5mS   $ 195.00
> XX. MER FUJ-1606S Fujitsu M1606S 1.0GB 3.5"x1" 5400RPM 10mS            $ 427.00
>
> Those are my current best price point drives in both sizes.  Note that my
> best 535MB drive is actually less than 1/2 the price of my best 1G drive,
> and it has a _faster_ seek time, and all my iozone and bonnie data says
> the DEC3053L is a clear winner over the 1606S.

Accepted for your locale, note that I observed later in the message that
circumstances here are somewhat different:

> > It's nice if you can afford it; here the price point is on the 1G disks,
> > so that's what I recommend.  It's an interesting approach, though.  I'm

(although this is subject to my getting a better price on the 500M units;
currently the best I've seen is a shade under AUS$500)

> be at $1560, making the M3243 a clear winner in the <$1400 range.  But,
> performance would be _far_ better with the 8 drives _if_ you can load
> balance the application accross multiple spindls _or_ you had stripping
> technology in the OS you where running.

Hmm; sounds like a mix of disks may be a profitable idea.  Ta for the
suggestion.

> For any current production performance class scsi controller (bt, aha, ncr)
> the above mutliple drive support in the BIOS is a given.  Your talking about
> abosolete, no longer avaliable, low performance controllers if they are
> missing this feature.

Great.  I can forget about it as an issue then.

> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[