Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:34:20 +0700 (NSS)
From:      Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instantiating templates with -frepo ?

hi, there!

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Kevin Bailey wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get -frepo working with g++ ?
> This is what I get when I compile the attached program:
>
> % g++ -c -frepo temptest.cpp
> % g++ -frepo temptest.o
> temptest.o: In function `main':
> temptest.o(.text+0x57): undefined reference to `void printit<ClassA>(ClassA &)'
>
> Here are the versions of the programs. As you can see, I've
> 'upgraded' to binutils-2.9.1.0.25 without it making a difference.
> This is on FreeBSD 4.0.
>
> % g++ -v
> Using builtin specs.
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
> % ld -v
> GNU ld version 2.9.1 (with BFD 2.9.1.0.25)

two questions:
- do you have collect2 built? our stock g++ does not have collect2
(but g++ built from ports does)
- make sure that both binutils and collect2 use the same versions of
cplus-dem.c (binutils have cplus-dem.c in libiberty which is linked with
all of them statically IIRC). libiberty does not have its own
version numbers (what a mess!) so sometimes ld and collect2 use different
demanglers. that makes -frepo impossible

/fjoe