Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 09:13:16 -0400
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com, ru@ucb.crimea.ua
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup/3.2-RELEASE

>  Date:  Tue, 18 May 1999 10:12:37 +0930
>  To:  "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
>  From:  Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
>  Subject:  Re: cvsup/3.2-RELEASE
>
>  On Monday, 17 May 1999 at 10:22:42 -0400, J. W. Ballantine wrote:
>  >
>  > I did a sup on my 3.1-STABLE system Friday, early evening, and then
>  > did a make world and a kernel rebuild/install.  When I checked on
>  > the make world Saturday am, the screen was locked, so i rebooted the
>  > system and when it came up the kernel said it was 3.2-RELEASE.
>  > However, the system wouldn't start because /bin/sh was not in
>  > executable format.  When I was able to bring up the system using
>  > /bin/csh, I looked at the make world log and found it failed during
>  > an install in the games dir because bin was not a valid account on
>  > the system, yet bin is a valid user in the passwd file.
>
>  I haven't seen this bug.  What's the exact output.
>
>  > Did I sup at the wrong time and get ``bad''  source??
>
>  I don't think so.  The only problem reported during this time was a
>  problem in the threads library.
>
>  > Is there some major change between 3.1-STABLE and 3.2-RELEASE that
>  > resulted in the problem, or is there something else going on???
>
>  I suspect something else must be going on.  Have you tried to repeat
>  your installworld?

No,  something caused some corruption in/on the system.
I ran cvsup -g -L2 /etc/cvsupfile, after that completed successfully, I ran
``make world >/root/mk_world.out 2>&1''.  While that was running, I did
a kernel config and make in another window and after that compiled ok did an
install.  At that point, with make world running, I left it.
The following AM, I tried to check on the make world, but the screen was locked
in the blank mode, so I rebooted the system.  This failed during the processing
of rc.conf with:

    /bin/sh: Exec format erorr	Wrong Architecture

I managed to get the system ``up'' using /bin/csh as the shell and found that
make world had failed at:

    ===>games/hack
    install -c -o bin -m 444 /dev/null /var/games/hackdir/???
    Install: unknown user bin

    stop

    Error Code 1

    stop

    Error Code 1

    stop

    Error Code 1

    stop

    Error Code 1

    Stop

When I was able to run file on /bin/sh I got:
    MS Windows    COFF    Unknown CPU

I downloaded the bin dir from 3.1-stable on cdrom and rebooted the system
using kernel.old and ``untarred'' the /bin/* files.  I then rebooted and
this time during the processing of rc.conf received:
    /bin/stty:    Exec format error    Wrong Architecture
    trap: command not found
    trap
    HOME=/:   Command Not Found
    export:   Command Not Found
    .
    .
    .

Anyway, at this point it looks like massive corruption and unless you have
any other thoughts, I'll just reload the system from scratch.  At this point
I'm interested in any thoughts as to what went wrong ( assuming it was
something I did ), or someother way to fix the system (short of reloading).

Thanks,

Jim Ballantine