Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:15:27 -0500
From:      Elliott Liggett <kilowatt@cinci.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse troubles

I have a three button logitech "MouseMan Serial-MousePort" mouse. It
plugs into my ps/2 port. Anyway, the mouse works flawlessly in the
console. However, once I start X, it begins to act funny.

Well, it moves fine and tracks great. But mouse clicks don't work too
well. For example, I have to click about 8 times on the gnome menu to
get it to pop up. Draging works fine, and generally anything where the
mouse moves and then clicks is ok. But simply double-clicking on an icon
takes about 16 clicks. I have quoted from my /etc/X11/XF86Config file at
the end of this message.

you'll notice I wrote "SysMouse" for my protocol. This is exactly what
the bsd installer told me to put here.

Anyway, here are my questions:
1) What should be in here? (my logitech is not one of the old
serial-port only mouses, btw (c7 type). Its M$ compatible I think)
2) Where are the system preferences for the console mouse stored? I've
been able to use the sysinstall program to reconfigure it before, but
I'd prefer to just edit a file ;-) any suggestions?

My computer is running FreeBSD 4.5/intel. The mouse worked fine in 4.4
(if only I had saved those config files... :D). The ps/2 port is part of
the motherboard (its not an add on card or anything). If it helps, my
computer is a 500mzh k6.

Thanks, your help will be much appreciated!

from /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

     Identifier  "Mouse1"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option "Protocol"    "SysMouse"
     Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#    Option "Protocol"  "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.

#    Option "BaudRate"  "9600"
#    Option "SampleRate"        "150"

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

#    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#    Option "ChordMiddle"

EndSection