Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 21:21:42 +0200
From:      esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 problem?

On Jun 20, 11:15, "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
} >If my discussion of the sequencer window issue with the arguably broken
} >Quantum drives has been a contributing factor, I appologise.  It was
} >not my intent to "call out" anyone, only to explain what I felt the
} >problem was (and as Rod pointed out, it was the wrong Quantum drive
} >for that to even be the problem, as far as we know).
} >
}
} I don't think that the Grand Prixs are broken at all, and I only reported
} what the bug was in John Aycock's original aic7xxx sequencer program that
} caused failures with the Grand Prixs.  I have no idea if the problems reported
} with the Grand Prix and the NCR are caused by the same "oversight", but I
} would guess that the problem is totally different since the NCR code was
} engineered more robustly than the original aic7xxx code and the mistake is
} fairly obvious.

Guess it was the SAME oversight !
Funny, that it worked with just about every
disk drive we tried, until the Grand-Prix
made the problem obvious ...

Problem is, that the NCR sequencer code
is quite complex at that point.

We already knew that some CDROM and DAT
drives didn't accept ANY messages within
a REQUEST SENSE command.

Anyway, I'm thinking about the correct
way to fix this (it's working already,
but the patch is not in -current, yet).