Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 04:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, tlambert@primenet.com, wmoran@iowna.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

On 10 Jul 2001, Rajappa Iyer wrote:

:Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com> writes:
:
:> Well, I'd sorta like to *see* them before writing the coding
:> equivalent of a blank check, but given reasonably functional
:> implementations, sure, I'd be happy to commit your "sysinstall
:> mountpoint auto-discovery" and "release package metadata"
:> enhancements.
:
:One of the nice things I like about FreeBSD (and I daresay I'm not
:alone in this) is that when I install it, I know that I'll get a
:kernel with a corresponding full and functional userland.  I see the
:packaging of this `base system' as a bunch of (meta)packages as the
:thin edge of the wedge---pretty soon FreeBSD will resemble the
:hodge-podge collection of different (often conflicting) packages that
:Linux is.

Where as I see the ability to incrementally upgrade only the parts of the
OS that have changed from release to release as I can do right now in
Irix.

You know, it's funny that you told me Irix is antiquated not long ago
Terry, it has most of the feature set you seem to be looking for.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"