Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:25:19 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@theinternet.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for comments on a new utility...

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 06:46:13 MST, Juli Mallett wrote:

> > Piping commands through other commands seems icky?
>
> Relying on reasonable output from ps(1) seems icky when you can extract the
> data yourself and not have to worry about formatting getting in the way of
> processing data properly.

I don't think you should worry too much about _not_ getting reasonable
output from POSIX-conformant utilities. :-)

I didn't want to be the one to break the "pstree exists" news, because I
know how frustrating it is to discover that you've just engineered a
solution to a solved problem, but it's an unfortunate fact of life.  I
was very annoyed when I realized that my waitpid(1) program that I was
so proud of already existed in several incarnations. :-)

Still, you can be proud of the work you've done.  You could even get it
into the ports tree.  It's always nice to have choices.

Ciao,
Sheldon.