Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:22:18 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail issue

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:43:26AM +1030, bastill@adam.com.au wrote:
> Quoting "V. M. Smith" <vmsmith@grokking.org>:
>
> > FWIW I've had sendmail hang on startup for me before; turned out to be DNS
> > prob.
> > Try verifying name resolution. Did you maybe stomp on your hosts file by
> > accident during mergemaster -cv?
>
> Thanks for yours and other helpful responses.
> Problem - I can ping my ADSL modem, and myself and localhost.
> I can ping myself as address and also by full domain name and
> abbreviated name. ie it doesn't look like a DNS problem.  Except I
> can't get out! :-(
>
> Error messages = zero.  Sendmail simply doesn't load :-(

Can you ping www.yahoo.com or your ISPs name servers?  This message
makes it sound like you have networking issues and not just sendmail
issues.

> I have looked at updating and have collected a number of docs also
> from the sendmail src file.  They refer to a tightening of security,
> but I am no techy- guru so I wasn't able to determine what, if
> anything, I was supposed to change to deal with my problem :-(

Is the machine not ever booting beyond the starting sendmail boot
message?  If so, CTRL-C the sendmail load to allow the machine to
continue to boot and figure out what is going on.  But your message
about being able to ping localhost indicates that the machine has
continued to boot so this may all be irrelevant.

lambert@lambertfam.org