Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:45:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rod Ebrahimi <rode@directhost.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using tape

On Tue, 24 February 1998 at 14:54:35 -0800, Rod Ebrahimi wrote:
> I have a sony 8mm tape drive how should I go about using it on my freebsd
> systems?

I presume this is a SCSI DDS drive.

1.  Install it in the SCSI chain.  If it's the first tape drive in the
    system, it will be recognized at boot as /dev/rst0.

2.  You can use any program to talk to the tape.  There's nothing very
    special about it.  Normally you'll talk to the character device
    /dev/rst0 or the "non-rewinding" version, /dev/nrst0.  When you
    finish reading or writing /dev/rst0, the driver rewinds the tape
    automatically, which is fine if you don't want to read or write
    beyond that point.  If you do want to continue, use /dev/nrst0.

3.  A lot of backup software exists.  The traditional UNIX program is
    tar.  The traditional BSD program is dump.  There are also some
    other programs in the Ports Collection, notably amanda.

Greg