Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 05:57:02 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hcg@teleport.com>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How important is "the OS?"

	Good points Tim, but I think it important to point out that
without Microsoft we wouldn't have as much processing power on our desks.
Heck, I've got an OLD Wang Mini-Frame sitting in my living room. It was
used in a medium sized company, cost $15000+ just for the CPU and ran 40
users. Now, I've got roughly 30000 times the processing power, and 200000
times the disk space on my 'low' end computer, and only two people use it.
:) I hate to admit it, but without Microsoft, I'd still be using the Wang
there, plus, I'd probally be out of a job.

> Folks... what do we do about kids entering computing in 1998, whose first
> experiences involve Win95 and playing arcade games using DirectX?  Who's
> going to be around in 20-30 years that cares any more about Unix, other
> than a few lost souls in their 60's who earn millions a year because they
> can still administer a Unix system?

	Well, personally, my children will learn a lot about computers,
they'll be taught in an X Windows environment to do their homework and
play some games, then will later graduate to other OS's if they wish. But
then again if they're anything like me (god forbid) then they'll never
really play games when they get past college anyways and will still have
the important background they need.
	I think that overall, Unix in general will never be able to
compete. Windows based platforms just don't have the scalibility to be
able to efficently run any mission critical applications, Windows, is
still, and always will be until they do a full rewrite from the ground up
of the entire core OS, a 16 bit application, running in a 32 bit world.
Almost all Unix systems from the start were meant to be 32 bit. Sure,
there are web server, and ftp server, and all kinds of different internet
related server software for NT. Microsoft says that NT is out growing Unix
in new server applications percentage wise, but forgets to mention that
Unix is already such a part of network market that a 5% growth is still
more computers then NT's 80% growth in the same market. (At least that's
what the numbers were about 2-3 years ago.)
	In my opinion, the only thing that could REALLY seriously hurt
Unix growth at all in the near future is the Millenium Bug (refusing to
call it Y2kxwhatever) But again, it has to be pointed out that those
people who are going to be running into the problem, have been using
(mostly) the same hardware and software for close to 15 years! Windows
will NEVER come close to that record.

> I think I did a poor job getting across what I was trying to say in this
> Email (and perhaps made no sense at all), but I hope it generates some
> discussion, especially among people who use multiple OS's like myself and
> follow the latest trends in computing.

	You did a good job Tim, and I agree with you to a certain extent.
But I just don't think Unix in general will ever die down. It's got some
growing to do to become more popular in the desktop market, but that's
really not it's niche (even though Linux seems hell bent on getting
there.) That's why Gates is trying to put IE in Windows, he's trying to
slowly dominate the Internet/Networking Market too, but will find that
he's got competition now, and while it may seem 'outdated,' 'obsolete,'
'useless,' etc, to the general computer using populance...

							Rick