Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:18:58 -0500
From:      "Hyunseog Ryu" <hyun@staff.norlight.net>
To:        <pjklist@ekahuna.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Korea (was: Sendmail Spam RBL)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: "Hyunseog Ryu" <hyun@staff.norlight.net>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 3:50 AM

> Second I want to point out that personally I have never supported
> country-wide blocks for the purpose of spam abatement, assuming we
> are talking about rules which affect more than one person's mailbox.
> (If a particular individual wants to filter out all messages sent to
> them that contain the letter "e", they can go right ahead.  Where I
> draw the line are system administrators who institute extreme
> measures, and do not fully inform or receive the consent of those
> whose communications these measures will affect.  Imagine how a
> Korean person living in the US would feel if they were waiting for an
> important message from home, only to find out later that their ISP
> had one day decided to block any email from Korea without informing
> any of their users about it.)
Indeed... I agree with you in that point, and that's why I responded with
previous email.
I sent email to Korea NOG group to extend the anti-SPAM discussion to any
action item.
As you imagine, there are a lot of ISPs in Korea, and they are not willing
to co-operate as we expected per company level.
But per engineer-level, they are pretty open to co-operate with each other.
If I have some progress, I will let you guys know about that.
At least, it's not black-hole, I think. ^.^

> That being said, a substantial percentage of spam is at least relayed
> through South Korea.  And as you mention, language differences may be
> one reason it isn't getting addressed as well as it should be.
> Another reason is that it is indeed true South Korea has a higher
> percentage of its people online than anywhere else in the world
> (including the USA), so there is a higher potential for abuse.  (Many
> people forget to consider the size of the entity when they proclaim
> them "bad".. this is why if I get a single spam from an AOL or MSN or
> Yahoo address, I consider it less serious than a single spam from a
> tiny domain belonging to one small company, for example.)
Yes, I understand that.
I think two or three months ago there was some big and hot issue regarding
this SPAM email in Korea.
One of online community company, which is similar to AOL or YAHOO!
community, started to
charge the money for SPAM email originator.
One of that policy change was because most of SPAMMER thinks SPAM email is
cheaper than other advertising solution.
At this moment, there is a lot of battle going on this movement.
As you said, regulations doesn't help that much regarding this anti-SPAM,
and it requires more etiquette than normal life.
If you can read Korean newspaper, they are talking about SPAM email issue at
least once per week.
If you consider this is technology issue, that's a lot.
Korean is moving to prevent SPAM email, but it is very slow.
You know, always people will get the bad side first, and then get the good
side later.
Because bad side has more easy to adapt, and more attractive.
But eventually people will get used with the good side.
As a joke, people watch American move to get used with English frequently.
First word they learn from movie is F word. Because it has strong accent and
frequently used.
But people don't say that American movie is bad. ^.^
Eventually they learn a lot of good English expression from American move.
I think same thing is happening in here.
A lot of people learn Internet first, and they think Internet is free.
So they have some bad idea such as SPAM email, and script to abuse other
networks.
But eventually they will learn how the system works.
Similar to people who get used with democratic system.

I hope we can open the communication channel with newbie people to the
Internet,
and show them how to use this new technologies efficiently and
courtageously.
Blocking whole email from those people, I don't think that will help either
of us.
That's why I wrote previous email, and am willing to be communication
channel between
Korean network engineer and American network engineer until there will be
official channel
for this kind of things.

> As for the Korean law you cite - I hate to tell you but most people
> involved in fighting spam characterize such laws (ie the ones that
> stipulate that spam must be "marked") as actually PRO-spam.  Those
> laws don't actually outlaw unsolicited email at all, they just put
> the responsibility on the end user to take measures to block it, and
> that is the wrong approach. (In the US, most of the "antispam"
> legislation has also been like this, and personally I think such laws
> are worse than useless.  Big business interests are typically the
> ones who lobby for these types of useless "antispam" laws.)
Yes...
Personally I agree to your point. And some of Korean NOG member shares your
point, too.
They called the customer, and requested to stop doing that, but some
customers said it is allowed by the law.
I think Korean NOG members can make some kind of suggestions to ministry of
Information and Communications.
So if you can give me some idea how you want for them  to handle this
situation,
I will pass that info to the Korean NOG people.

Thanks, Philips, for your comment.

Hyun